‘Alfie wanted them to have a life sentence - that’s what he feels he has got’

ENGSUS00120130410132622
ENGSUS00120130410132622

The partner of a man who was left brain-damaged following a brutal assault in Bexhill has said she is ‘glad’ his attackers have been jailed - but feels they should have been given a life sentence.

Tanya White says Alfie Peak, who was left confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak following the attack, feels he has been given a life sentence - and believes his attackers should have been setenced to the same.

Zack Dangerfield, Thomas Unwin, John Panice and Stephen Luck were all found guilty last week of GBH with intent after attacking Bexhill man Alfie Peak in July 2013.

Unwin, Panice and Luck were sentenced to 14 years’ imprisonment and Dangerfield received a 13-year sentence.

Tanya, who was in court with Alfie when the judge passed sentence on October 27, said: “Alfie’s words were that he would have wanted them to have a life sentence as he feels that is what he got. And I have to agree with Alfie.”

She added: “We are all pleased they are in prison, but when you compare it with what Alfie is going to have to go through for the rest of his life... But we are glad they are in prison.”

Each defendant told the court that it was not them who kicked Alfie in the head, claiming they did not know who was responsible for the father-of-two’s injuries.

Tanya told the Observer: “Not one of these defendants gave an honest account of what happened that night.

“So to get Alfie closure and to move on has been difficult for him. I think it is evil.”

Tanya added that Alfie was left distressed by the behaviour of some of the defendants’ supporters on the day the men were sentenced.

She said: “It was a really stressful and emotional time, which was not made any easier by the behaviours of supporters of the defendants who were tormenting us.

“It’s been so hard for Alfie to go to court in the first place and hear how he was attacked.

“And for these people to come to court screaming and shouting and laughing and kicking off - I could not believe it. We just were not expecting that.”

A Sussex Police spokesperson said: “Police are aware of the threats made at court and will look into the allegations.”

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.