Bexhill High code for bad weather days
BEXHILL High Executive Principal Mike Conn has issued updated guidelines for parents and carers on closing or keeping the school open when bad weather hits the area.
This follows protests two weeks ago when the academy opened on Monday morning following snowfall over the weekend but Mr Conn then made the decision to close at midday.
Some parents and carers reacted with anger and said there had been a lack of information, while others complained of incovenience because they were themselves at work.
Their criticism lead Mr Conn to feel ‘you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t’ and he gave his reaction to the Observer.
Now he has written a letter to parents and carers telling them: “The first priority will be the education of the children in a safe environment. It will always be my intention to open the school if at all possible even if we have to reduce the hours. The only consideration will be of health and safety concerns.”
To ensure that as much information is available as possible the following steps are now in place:-
- A message will be posted on the school website by 0700 to advise whether the school is closed or open on that day including other information such as reduced hours.
- A message will only be posted the day before if it is absolutely clear that it will be impossible to open the school the following day.
- A message will also be posted on Twitter.
- Emails will be sent to all staff, students and those on parentmail.
- If the school is to be closed then there will be a message on the East Sussex County Council website and announcements made on the local radio.
Mr Conn also added: “Please remember to refresh your website as you will not receive the updated information if you do not do so. In addition I ask you not to telephone the school as I cannot guarantee it will be staffed until 0800. Messages on Facebook are totally invalid and should not be regarded as correct.”
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bexhill-on-Sea
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: West