Dog owners in Sussex are being warned of the risks their pets face over the Easter holiday.
The warning comes after pet insurers Direct Line asked vets what are the biggest causes concerns for dogs during Easter.
The insurers say 99 per cent of vets said chocolate is the most common human food which causes problems for dogs.
Treatment for a dog which has eaten chocolate costs an average of £222.68, while severe incidents have cost more than £800.
Chocolate contains theobromine, which humans can easily metabolise. Dogs on the other hand, process it slowly and find it hard to break down allowing it to build up to toxic levels which can result in death if untreated.
In addition to chocolate, dog owners should also be wary of other spring-related dangers as some plants can cause serious illness if ingested. Bulbs, including daffodils, amaryllis and hyacinths can cause nausea and vomiting according to 45 per cent of vets and can be fatal if not treated quickly.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.