Fears new Pebsham houses could flood

The area where the new homes will be built
The area where the new homes will be built
2
Have your say

New homes being built in Pebsham could be at serious risk of flooding, it is feared.

Barratt Homes is currently building more than 100 dwellings on land off Pebsham Lane.

The company was given planning permission by Rother District Council in May last year to build 108 homes, together with associated car and cycle parking, open space and play areas.

But nearby residents said the area was a notorious flood plain and fear existing neighbouring properties will be more prone to flooding.

Robert Budgen, of Alford Way, said: “The field where the houses will be built was flooded last Monday (December 21). In fact, it’s always flooded.

“A brand new road has been built but when workers went there to move a crane it slipped into mud because of flooding.

“It’s unbelievable. Our gardens were flooding before work started on the homes.

“God help anyone who decides to buy a house on the site. Work on the houses started three weeks ago and since then it’s been mud, mud, mud.

“They are building 108 houses on an eight-acre piece of land.

“I even sent pictures of seagulls swimming on the bottom of the field to the council to highlight the flooding problem. I would have thought the first thing builders would have done was place pumping stations on the land to deal with the problem.

“I’m frightened once the houses are built the flood water will end up in our street.”

Other residents in Alford Way expressed their concerns to the housing development ahead of it being given planning permission by Rother District Council. John Shotts said the infrastructure was not available to support such a large development and he said it could bring an extra 2,000 cars to the area.

Under the scheme more than 230 car parking spaces will be created.

Barratt Homes’ application was submitted to the district council in May, 2014, but Mr Shotts said around 1,000 people had voiced objections to the scheme ahead of the proposals being submitted.

The council received a petition signed by 236 people in protest at the development before it was granted.

One main concern cited on the petition was flooding and drainage problems.

A Rother District Council spokesman: “The planning permission includes drainage proposals agreed with the Environment Agency, which the applicant will be required to install as part of the development.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.