Glyne Gap restaurants plan opposed by Bexhill councillor

Cllr Charles Clarke, Bexhill. SUS-160604-104016001
Cllr Charles Clarke, Bexhill. SUS-160604-104016001
5
Have your say

A Bexhill councillor believes the proposed Glyne Gap restaurants should not be accepted as it will be detrimental to existing businesses and traffic.

Rother District Council and East Sussex County Council representative Charles Clark opposes The Restaurant Group’s (TRG) plan to build a Frankie & Benny’s and a Chiquito on the field that separates Hastings and Bexhill.

The draft proposal for two restaurants on Glyne Gap sent out to residents last year

The draft proposal for two restaurants on Glyne Gap sent out to residents last year

The independent councillor for St Michaels ward plans to speak against it when the planning committee discusses it, possibly on May 26.

“The proposed application would have a serious effect on restaurants in Bexhill at a time when the council is trying to improve the town centre economy.

“It would increase noise pollution for residents in York Road and Kent Close who border the field.

“The proposed access from Lewis Avenue cannot be accepted.

“It would increase problems at Glyne Gap roundabout, which also has a garage and a crossing at this location.”

TRG claims the restaurants will be worth £2m annually to the area’s economy and will create 141 jobs in total, including during construction and once the eateries open.

But Cllr Clark believes town centre restaurateurs would be badly-effected, plus the gap between Hastings and Bexhill should be ‘protected’ and the Ravenside Retail Park would be a more suitable location.

“We all want job creation in Bexhill but this is the wrong location,” he said.

“The application is within the boundary for the Combe Valley Countryside Park, of which Rother is fully support, and has committed funding to.

“The link road was created to reduce traffic on Bexhill Road, which indeed it has.

“The proposed development will increases noise and traffic pollution on Bexhill Road.”

It was previously claimed the proposal was due to be decided by Wednesday (April 20), but the decision should be made by the planning committee next month.

A Rother District Council spokesman said: “The council is supportive of the restaurants coming to the area but has raised issues with the applicants over the specific location proposed.

“We have advised the applicants that we are willing to work with them to pursue alternative site options and that remains the case.

“A decision on this application is not expected to be made by the council until the Planning Committee meeting on Thursday, May 26 (not Wednesday April 20, as quoted in the article), when members of the committee will consider the application in detail and reach a decision taking into account relevant planning policies and other considerations.

“Any resident, interested person or organisation wishing to comment on this application still has plenty of time to do so.

“Comments can be submitted via our website using the reference RR/2016/662/P at www.rother.gov.uk/planning.”

Glyne Gap restaurants plan submitted to council

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.