A war memorial from a town centre church has been moved to St Michael’s church in Glassenbury Drive.
St Andrew’s Church in Wickham Avenue closed down just over two years ago. The decision to save its memorial was made by Mick Gregory and Ian Fishwick of St Michael’s, who, with Father Stephen Huggins, felt it was important to remember local men and women who had died as a result of war.
They gave it a new home at St Michael’s which was built in the 1930’s and had no war memorial of its own. The war memorial is made up of a Roll of Honour of 37 names together with the Standards of the Royal Marines Association Bexhill, the Royal British Legion Bexhill and the Royal British Legion Women’s Section Bexhill.
There will be a special service of dedication on Sunday June 1 at 3pm. The service will be attended by local councillors and new mayor Cllr Brian Kentfield, MP Greg Barker, the Archdeacon of Hastings, as well as the Belgian Consul, and a representative of the German military attaché. Many local veterans groups will also be there to present their standards, and children from Pebsham Primary Academy will lead the prayers and readings.
A highly anticipated part in the service will be when Bexhill Harmony perform songs from the two world wars.
At the dedication of the memorial a bugler will play to mark a two minute silence.
Father Stephen said: “The names on the war memorial are those of local people whose lives got caught up in the terrible events of world history. We owe them a great debt and we promise that they shall not be forgotten.”