DCSIMG

Van ban permanent on East Parade

The restriction on camper vans parking overnight in East Parade is permanent says East Sussex County Council.

However a similar ban on West Parade is not a priority at the moment.

Rother District representatives who attended a meeting at county hall last Friday were told of this move.

Brian Banks, ESCC’s team manager for road safety, commented: “We held a very productive meeting with local councillors to update them on the current situation on parking on Bexhill seafront.

“The current restriction on camper vans parking overnight in East Parade was introduced last summer and has been well-received by residents, and we will now be making this restriction permanent.

“We are aware that some people would like to see a similar restriction in West Parade, and this is something we are willing to consider.

“However, given the current budgetary constraints we are facing we have to prioritise schemes which are needed due to road safety concerns, and this scheme would not fall into this category at the present time.”

Cllr Deirdre Williams said she had been “very concerned” the ban on East Parade might be rescinded and added: “I nearly had a nervous breakdown the summer before last when at one point we had 21 vans parked on East Parade. The ban this summer was very successful , and I needed to do everything in my power to keep the ban permanently.”

Jenny Langridge of Sutton Place praised Cllr Williams and said: “She has been brilliant in fighting the county council for making a permanent no parking overnight order for motor homes along the East Parade.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page