Plans for major development are unveiled

Bovis Homes' proposal for Roundacre, part of the new development in north east Bexhill. Image shows the neighbourhood play area and pedestrian walkways. SUS-151106-100426001
Bovis Homes' proposal for Roundacre, part of the new development in north east Bexhill. Image shows the neighbourhood play area and pedestrian walkways. SUS-151106-100426001
3
Have your say

Around 600 people attended the official unveiling of plans for a major new development which will transform north east Bexhill.

Bovis Homes are planning to build 1,050 homes on the land off Wrestwood Road, including more than 300 affordable homes.

The proposals also include a new primary school and children’s nursery, a community building and sports pavilion, commercial floor space, retail units, community facilities, green open spaces and the conversion of existing historic barns at Lower Worsham Farm.

On top of that, the plans feature sustainable urban drainage, car parking, primary vehicular access from the Gateway Road and secondary access from Wrestwood Road.

Bovis Homes has not yet submitted a planning application but is expected to do so next month.

In the meantime, residents are being invited to have their say about the ambitious scheme.

Bovis Homes sent out more than 1,000 invitations to residents living near the site, inviting them to view the plans at an exhibition at Bexhill College on Tuesday (June 9).

Speaking at the exhibition, Matthew Charnock, divisional development director at Bovis Homes, told the Observer he was pleased with the response.

Mr Charnock said: “So far we have been really pleased with the turn out.

“There’s been a very steady, regular flow of people through the day.

“There’s been lots of questions and hopefully we have answered many of them, even if they have sometimes not been the answers residents would like.

“But the overall feeling is they are pleased with the design of our proposals.”

The land off Wrestwood Road had been allocated in the adopted local plan in 2014 for residential and mixed-use development.

Mr Charnock said: “There’s a definite understanding that the principal of development has been established here, so the attendees are quite keen to see how our plans are shaping up.”

Residents have until Sunday June 21 to have their say.

The plans are available to view at www.bovishomes.co.uk/northeastbexhill where people will be able to send in ideas and comments.

Planning permission has already been granted for parts of the allocation outside the Bovis Homes proposal, including a gateway road, 108 homes off Pebsham Lane and a business innovation park.

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net

2 Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver

3 Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bexhill Observer – always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.