Two major Bexhill planning applications withdrawn

The charred remains of the Sidley Sports and Social Club building following the fire. SUS-150203-133403001
The charred remains of the Sidley Sports and Social Club building following the fire. SUS-150203-133403001

Plans for up to 70 homes in Sidley and the 2.4km North Bexhill Access Road have been withdrawn for now.

The development on the former Sidley sports ground and the road that would open up land north of Sidley for development were supposed to be decided on by Rother District Council’s planning committee this morning (Thursday, December 10).

The proposed route of the North Bexhill Access Road

The proposed route of the North Bexhill Access Road

But both proposals were pulled from the agenda.

A Sea Change Sussex spokesman said: “We submitted some further details relating to our planning application for the North Bexhill Access Road on request of Rother District Council.

“Because we’re mindful that this could be regarded as additional information to our application, and to allow the public time to consider it, we’ve asked Rother District Council if the date the planning application will be considered could be postponed.”

There was no reason given for the sports ground development’s withdrawal but that seems to be more formal as it’s status on the planning website is ‘withdrawn’.

Whereas the access road’s status still says ‘undecided’.

The former sports ground had been recommended for refusal by officers due to the loss of open, community space.

But the access road on the other hand should be granted according to officers.

Both proposals have been a source of controversy among residents.

The sports ground has had 57 letters of objection including one from Heart of Sidley plus a petition signed by 26 residents.

An action group, People Against the North Bexhill Access Road, was set up in opposition by residents, as well as 50 people signed a petition against it.

Developers Beaulieu Homes (Southern) has been contacted for comment.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.