Be wary of chimney fires this winter, say firefighters

As temperatures plummet and woodburners are fired up, firefighters are urging people to take care to avoid chimney fires this winter.

Crews were in action on Sunday (January 18) following reports of a chimney fire at a house in Kiln Lane, Hooe, just after 9.50pm.

Two appliances attended and firefighters located the fire within the stud wall, behind the woodburner. Crews spent time cutting away and used one hose reel to put out the flames, caused by the accidental fire.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is reminding those with open fires and woodburners to get their chimneys swept regularly in order to avoid a fire.

Chimneys and flues should be kept clean and well maintained and anyone using an open fire should use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.

Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks and always ensure that the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.

For more chimney safety advice, visit the East Sussex Fire and Rescue website at www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml