A retired office worker was found dead at his Bexhill home.
Graeme Drury, 62, of Cantelupe Road, struggled for years with alcoholism and heavy smoking.
An inquest into his death was held this afternoon (Tuesday, October 27) at Hastings Magistrates’ Court.
The hearing heard Mr Drury, who died on June 27 this year, succumbed to fatal ketoacidosis, a condition brought on by excessive drinking.
In a statement, his GP, Dr Roger Elias said Mr Drury was drinking almost 200 units of alcohol when he first registered at his surgery in 2008.
He also smoked more than 20 cigarettes a day and suffered from severe emphysema, a lung disease, due to smoking.
Sylvia Smith, his partner, said in a statement: “I knew him for nine years. He was very underweight and seemed to have no appetite and was very forgetful.
“Two to three weeks before his death he had trouble walking. He also suffered from palpitations brought on by panic attacks. He was also trying to give up drinking just before he died.”
Coroner Alan Craze concluded Mr Drury’s death was alcohol related.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.