A man who set fire to a bag of Christmas decorations at a flat in Bexhill where a young child was present, has been jailed for two-and-a-half years.
Police were called to Sutherland Avenue shortly before 2am on December 15 last year, following reports of a disturbance at a block of flats.
A spokesperson for Sussex Police said that when officers arrived on the scene, they discovered smoke coming from inside a flat where a young child was present.
A man seen shouting in the doorway of the flat was detained and arrested, and a woman in her 20s was located within the same block.
Jake Waring, 20, of Ashby Close, appeared at Lewes Crown Court on Monday (23 May), where he was sentenced in connection with the incident.
He was sentenced to 30 months imprisonment for arson and one month for assault by beating, to run concurrently.
Waring was also ordered to pay a £170 victim surcharge.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.