Choking verdict for Bexhill care home death

Hastings Magistrates' Court
Hastings Magistrates' Court

A woman died in a care home after choking on her lunch, a coroner’s court heard on Tuesday (November 3).

Jacqueline Blackman passed away at Hazelmere Nursing Home at around 12.30pm on June 2.

The 63-year-old suffered from Parkinson’s disease and struggled to swallow food.

Despite advice to only eat mashed food, Ms Blackman ate normally after signing a disclaimer saying she understood the risk.

On the day she died, a care assistant gave her lunch and briefly left the room to get a bib.

When she returned, Ms Blackman was choking and paramedics could not save her.

PC Rob Hart found no suspicious circumstances and coroner Alan Craze concluded the death was accidental at Hastings Magistrates’ Court.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.