Comedian Eddie Izzard spent Â£36,000 on Remain campaign
Bexhill comedian Eddie Izzard spent Â£36,229 campaigning for Britain to remain in the European Union, a report has revealed.
Eddie was a vocal Remainer and ahead of the referendum he travelled across the country on his Stand Up For Europe tour to encourage young people to vote in the EU referendum.
The detail of more than £4.5 million of spending by 48 campaigners at the EU Referendum has been published by the Electoral Commission, the independent political finance regulator.
The data released on Tuesday (November 29) covers those campaigners that reported spend of between £10,000 and £250,000 at the EU referendum.
Bob Posner, the Electoral Commission’s director of political finance and regulation and legal counsel said: “The information we have published today provides a first chance to see the amounts of spending by many of the campaigners at the referendum.
“The publication of this data is vital in ensuring transparency and accountability, both in how campaigners obtained funds as well as how they spent them.”
The Remain campaign registered a total of £1,344,419 in donations while the figure for Leave was £1,451,414.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.