Fire crews called to chimney fires
FIREFIGHTERS are reminding residents of the importance of regularly having their chimneys swept ahead of the winter season.
Battle firefighters were called out to the Wheel Inn, in Heathfield Road, Burwash, on Monday (September 24) following reports of a chimney fire.
The crew arrived on scene just before 3pm and were on site for just over an hour.
Meanwhile Pevensey firefighters were called to another chimney fire in Manor Road, Bexhill, also Monday, just before 9pm.
The incidents have prompted East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service to issue a number of chimney fire prevention tips.
To prevent a chimney fire:
· Ensure your chimney is swept regularly.
· Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained.
· Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.
· Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.
· Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks.
Further fire safety tips are available from http://www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml