Rother District Council has given the green light for a major housing development north of Pebsham.
On Thursday (January 15) the council’s planning committee granted planning permission for an application by Barratt Southern Counties Ltd for 108 new homes off Pebsham Lane.
The proposal is part of larger scheme to build hundreds of new houses and thousands of square feet of business space in North Bexhill.
Following the committee meeting Cllr Brian Kentfield, chairman of Rother District Council’s planning committee, said: “This application forms part of the wider development of north east Bexhill, which is vital to the future prosperity of the town.
“The scheme includes 32 affordable homes – 30 per cent of the total – of which there is a particular need to ensure that young local families can get on the housing ladder and make their home here.
“The committee welcomed the fact that the applicant had been willing to engage in discussions with the council and had improved the design quality of the proposals. The completion of a section 106 agreement with the developer will ensure this scheme contributes to its fair share of infrastructure improvements for Bexhill through significant financial contributions to community projects such as a new leisure centre for Bexhill, the Combe Valley Countryside Park, art and the public realm and public open space.”
Councillors backed the plan despite receiving a petition signed by 236 people objecting to the development.
Their concerns included flooding and drainage problems, extra noise and increased use of roads in Pebsham.
The controversial plan will compromise of 89 houses, 16 maisonettes and three apartments, with car and cycle parking, open space and play areas.
The developer has said that 76 of the homes will be sold on the open market and 36 will be allocated at affordable housing.