Bexhill Coastguard’s warning to dog owners after palm oil spotted on beaches

Bexhill Coastguard have warned dog owners to be vigilant after palm oil deposits were spotted on beaches in Bexhill.

Wednesday, 3rd March 2021, 1:54 pm
File: Herbrand Walk/Cooden Beach SUS-200923-115947001

The pebble-sized lumps which can be harmful to dogs have been spotted at Cooden Beach and Galley Hill.

Bexhill Coastguard said the deposits are sometimes seen in lumps that are white/yellow and waxy in appearance.

A spokesman for Bexhill Coastguard said: “Palm oil is an edible vegetable oil derived from the pulp of the fruit of African, American and Maripa palms. It is used in processed foods, toiletries and as a biofuel. Large ships also use palm oil as a tank cleaning agent.

“While palm oil is not poisonous to dogs, it does have a laxative effect and, if eaten, can cause sickness, diarrhoea, dehydration and, in extreme cases, pancreatitis.

“It can also cause blockages in the gut due to its semi-solid state.

“Some dogs may become seriously ill after ingesting palm oil.”

If you believe your dog may have ingested palm oil, Bexhill Coastguard advised seeking advice from a vet as soon as possible.

In a coastal emergency, always dial 999 and ask for the coastguard.