Seafront lighting Euro funding

EUROPEAN funding has been secured by Rother council for its planned scheme to improve seafront lighting.

Monday, 6th November 2006, 10:51 am
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 9:34 pm

The funding will also help with projects such as the current refurbishment of the century-old West Parade Clock Tower.

A lighting scheme was suggested by landscape architect Tim Gale in his original seafront designs for Rother and formed an important part of the overall proposal for seafront improvements.

The first elements of the scheme comprise lighting to the facades of the Colonnade, Museum and Clock Tower.

A project contract for this work has now been let to local contractors Hannington Gilbert.

Rother says that, in addition, a scheme to enhance street lighting Sackville Road and the promenade is being developed and will be implemented in a future phase of the programme.

"The lighting scheme will make the most of the town's architectural character and features to enhance the promenade for residents and visitors alike."

The 120,000 of Euro-cash represents 40 per cent of the cost of improvement schemes at the Colonnade, the Clock Tower and the Museum. Rother is seeking funding partners to help match-fund the remaining 60 per cent.

Refurbishment of the Clock Tower accounts for less than 10,000 of the total.

When Rother first began to examine the Clock Tower its options included getting rid of it altogether, project manager Richard Shoobridge said this week.

But examination revealed the structure to be in generally sound condition.

The Clock Tower was the subject of a ceremony last year to mark its centenary.

Its refurbishment has already included external redecoration.

Richard Shoobridge said specialist clock-makers who have removed the clock's workings to dismantle them and give them their first major overhaul in a century have found them to be in remarkably good condition.

But when the clock's four glass-and-copper faces were removed two were found to be in frail condition.

The original dials are being retained but are not only being re-glazed but reinforced with additional external glazing and with internal support.