Town is not split says council leader

ROTHER leader Graham Gubby has hit back at the notion the town was "split" over the latest regeneration plans.

Thursday, 21st October 2004, 3:02 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 8:08 pm

He `said Bexhill could not be divided over plans residents were yet to see.

Last week's Observer featured revised proposals by architects ABK including a new railway station concourse in Devonshire Square, an extended supermarket on the Sainsbury's site and, controversially, a hotel on the Metropole putting green.

The ideas were discussed at the recent Beyond Green consultation sessions, with different camps each discussing the subject of town centre regeneration.

Beyond Green director, Jonathan Smales hailed the meetings as "good, mature debate that bodes well for the future."

But Cllr Gubby denied there could have been any wider divisions over the plans before last week as, "The town could not have been split because the proposals had yet to be put before the town."

He said: "Beyond Green had a group of about 40 people invited to come to discuss the plans which, when published, will go to the town forum, the public and other road shows.

"The people present at those meetings were in an incredibly important and responsible position and I told them they had to put their prejudices to one side and put a consensus out to the public - then they can decide what they want to do.

"There were about four people who were supporting the SOS (Save Our Seafront group) and that's four out of 40."