Pavement parking has always been a problem and, regrettably, will be for at least some time to come.
Government policy is incoherent and thus ineffective. However I’ve noticed the problem steadily worsening in recent times as motorists follow each other ‘sheep like’ in taking over the pavements.
I’d therefore like to suggest to others considering following suit (including newly qualified drivers) that :
- It’s okay not to illegally drive up onto the pavement in order to park there.
- It’s okay not to inconvenience, and sometimes obstruct, pedestrians, including those with disabilities and pushchairs.
- It’s okay not to park on a pavement designed to withstand feet, not vehicles. We all pay for the ensuing repairs.
In fact I’ll go further. To refrain from this activity is not only okay, it also shows a consideration and respect for others – in this case rightful users of the pavement – something which is sadly in short supply nowadays.
A change in government policy, even if it comes, will take time. However the situation could be eased considerably tomorrow if pavement parkers decide to change their attitude and behaviour. I won’t be holding my breath though.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.