I write in reply to your 22-year-old correspondent who asks voters to stay with the European Union.
I was young once too. Dazzled by the hype and the ‘vision thing’, I voted in the 1975 referendum to stay in the EU.
Now, like most of my generation, I bitterly regret allowing myself to be so bamboozled. We will not be so deceived again.
If, a few years after we have freed ourselves from this political union, the current generation decide they want back in again, then have another referendum – the EU will fall over itself to re-accept their former milch cow.
On the other hand, we will certainly never be allowed another chance to leave if we make the wrong choice a second time.
In the meantime, consider these points before you vote:-
1. We pour colossal sums of money into the EU treasury for them to spend on their people (£350m every week in life). After leaving, we will be that much richer, and they that much poorer.
2. Most of the big multi-nationals and bankers reportedly want to stay in (think tax avoidance). What do you think motivates them? Their own self interest, or the national interest?
3. Who do you wish to be ruled by? Your own elected people, or a foreign power?
Cllr Michael Phillips
De La Warr Road
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.