East Sussex Football League round-up

Nineteen matches involving Macron East Sussex Football League clubs went ahead on Saturday.

Monday, 2nd February 2015, 6:00 am
Action from the Macron East Sussex Football League Division Four game between Little Common III and West Hill United. Picture by Steve Hunnisett (SUS-150131-162923002)

Sandhurst moved up three places off the foot of Division One on the back of a 3-2 victory away to Sidley United. Two goals from Guy Ballard and one from Sam Harvey put Sandhurst three-up before Aaron Cochrane pulled one back in the 80th minute and Adam Day scored direct from a corner in added time.

Mountfield United extended their lead at the top of the table to 10 points without even kicking a ball as scheduled hosts Little Chelsea were unable to raise a side.

Second-placed Old Hastonians kept themselves on track for promotion from Division Two with a 1-0 win at home to fourth-placed Wittersham. The breakthrough came 10 minutes into the second half when Stuart Galbraith struck with a half-volley.

Crowhurst moved up to fifth courtesy of a comfortable 6-1 win away to a Catsfield side which has now conceded 21 goals in three league matches. Jamie Lindsay, Jordan Turner, Gary Croft, Simon Randall, Nick Walker and Jon Rich-Spice scored a goal apiece for Crowhurst, while Tony Luke nabbed the 75th minute consolation for Catsfield on a mudbath of a pitch.

AFC Hastings moved within two points of Division Three leaders Sovereign Saints by dint of a convincing 6-1 win away to third-bottom Ninfield United II. Brad Lewis bagged a brace for the visitors, and Ricky Baldwin, Luke Woodley, Dan Hilder and Joe O’Leary also netted, the latter with his first goal of the season right on the final whistle. Nick Hardy scored Ninfield’s consolation.

Eastbourne Athletic are a rather distant third after outgunning Hooe Sports 5-0.

Peche Hill Select II are up to fifth following a 4-0 win at home to fourth-placed Hastings Rangers. Dave Benson netted in either half and Steve Garlick’s goal on 70 minutes sealed Rangers’ fate. Kelvin Lowes wrapped it up in the last minute.

Bexhill AAC II are two points clear at the top of Division Four after defeating Westfield III 3-1 in an entertaining encounter.
Bexhill reached the break 2-0 ahead and although Westfield got back into the match through an Eden Sams strike, Bexhill sealed the points with a third goal. Scorers for the home side were Wayne Jackson, Craig Ray and Doni Dovla, his 19th of the campaign.

Bexhill Rovers are off the bottom of the table after securing only their second league win of the season with a 2-0 victory against fourth-placed St Leonards Social II. Jacob Jones scored both goals in the 10th and 75th minutes for a Rovers side whose goalkeeper played a ‘blinder’. Social also hit the woodwork three times.

Little Common III began eating into their fixture backlog with a 3-1 win against West Hill United. Ashley McCann equalised for West Hill before the break, but Common netted twice without reply after the restart. Conor Chilton, Dan Estherby and debutant Jonny Eteson did the damage for the home side.

The Bexhill United III versus Conquest United match was abandoned after 63 minutes with United leading 4-1.

Third-placed Sedlescombe Rangers II grabbed their biggest win of the season in Division Five with an 8-0 thumping of AFC St Leonards. Gavin Moffat Bailey plundered a hat-trick, Graham Stovell and Ben Cowell scored twice each, and Chris Hollands netted the other.

Orington have opened up a four-point gap at the top of Division Six after defeating visitors Hawkhurst United II 4-1. Scott Quested netted twice for the hosts, and was joined on the scoresheet by Scott Brunton and Andy Swindles. Conrad Woodgate’s 20th minute drive into the top corner meant Hawkhurst were only one behind at the interval.

Robertsbridge United moved level on points with second-placed Punnetts Town II after defeating rock-bottom visitors Icklesham Casuals II 7-4. Ben Thorpe netted a hat-trick for Robertsbridge, Howard Atkinson got two, and there was one each for Justin Hardy and Josh Goodsell. Dan Russell, Jon Filton, Joe Lyons and debutant James Coram - with his first touch - replied.

Ninfield United are through to the semi-finals of the Robertsbridge Charity Intermediate Cup after defeating Rock-a-Nore 2-0. Second half goals from Ash Elphick and Josh Mabb - after the Rocks’ goalkeeper came up for a late corner - set up a last four meeting with JC Tackleway or Iden.

St Leonards Social will play Westfield reserves or Sandhurst in the other semi-final after seeing off Sedlescombe Rangers 3-0. Terry Smith gave the home side a half time lead, while Ricky Matthews and Brett Patton made the game safe after the interval.

Hawkhurst United are through to the Robertsbridge Charity Junior Cup semi-finals after holding on for a 3-2 win against Northiam 75.
Ben Marshall, Danny Mcgahan and Olly Lawrence put Hawkhurst 3-0 up before Oscar Garcia Cruz and Sam Dangerfield got Northiam back in it.

Division Four high-flyers Peasmarsh United gained a notable scalp by stunning Division One promotion hopefuls Bexhill AAC 3-0.
Liam Sayer opened the scoring after just 40 seconds and Chris Catt made it 2-0 at the break. Joe Phillips added a third after the break.