Hastings pull off dramatic cup upset

Bright Temba scored Hastings United's first goal and had another effort cleared off the line against Tonbridge Angels last night. Picture courtesy Joe Knight
Bright Temba scored Hastings United's first goal and had another effort cleared off the line against Tonbridge Angels last night. Picture courtesy Joe Knight
  • Hastings United triumph away to Tonbridge Angels on penalties
  • U’s win 3-0 on spot-kicks with Pelling saving all three Tonbridge penalties
  • Medlock, Cole and Cumming-Bart make no mistake for United
  • Temba and Richardson-Brown had twice equalised for Hastings as game finished 2-2 after 90 minutes
  • United’s reward is a third round tie at home to Sittingbourne

Hastings United’s footballers pulled off a splendid penalty shoot-out victory away to higher grade opposition last night (Tuesday).

The U’s won 3-0 on spot-kicks against Tonbridge Angels in round two of the Ryman Football League’s Alan Turvey Trophy, sponsored by Robert Dyas, with goalkeeper Josh Pelling remarkably saving all three penalties he faced.

United had twice come from behind to earn a 2-2 draw after 90 minutes and with no extra-time in the Alan Turvey Trophy, then held their nerve in the shoot-out.

U’s manager Garry Wilson made several changes from the weekend FA Cup clash against Poole Town, with Chris Cumming-Bart, Sam Cruttwell, Max Hollobone, Tyrell Richardson-Brown and Bright Temba all included in the starting line-up.

Up against a Tonbridge side boasting the best goal difference and meanest defence in the Premier Division, Division One South team United got off to the worst possible start. Ellis Brown drilled Tonbridge ahead in the very first minute.

A goal-line clearance by Jack Walder prevented United falling further behind before they equalised out of the blue in the 11th minute. Temba cut out a Tonbridge back pass and rounded goalkeeper Tony Di Bernardo before tapping home.

Tonbridge were back in front, however, 15 minutes later. James Folkes rounded-off a neat move by turning home Brown’s cross. United came close to an equaliser before the break, but Temba’s effort after rounding Di Bernardo was blocked on the line.

They did level things up again six minutes into the second period and a fine goal it was too. Sam Cole’s cross from the right was met by a right-foot volley into the bottom corner from Richardson-Brown.

Richardson-Brown then came close to putting United ahead, but his chip was well clawed out by Di Bernardo. At the other end, Jack Parter’s cross struck the bar and late on Pelling did superbly to save from Brown.

And so to penalties it went. Billy Medlock and Cole scored United’s first two, while Pelling saved from ex-United midfielder Lee Carey and Luke Blewden.

Ollie Rowe had United’s third effort saved, but Pelling also repelled Nick Wheeler’s attempt. Cumming-Bart scored United’s next kick to set up a third round tie at home to Sittingbourne on a date to be announced.

United: Pelling, Cumming-Bart, Cruttwell, Rowe, Vickers, Walder, Hollobone, Johnson, Richardson-Brown, Temba, Cole. Subs: Medlock, Hall, Harris, Crabb, Adams. Attendance: 294.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!