In-form United chalk up another victory

Jerome Smith opened the scoring for Hastings United in their 2-1 win away to Chipstead this afternoon. Picture courtesy Joe Knight
Jerome Smith opened the scoring for Hastings United in their 2-1 win away to Chipstead this afternoon. Picture courtesy Joe Knight
  • Hastings United win 2-1 away to Chipstead
  • Goal in either half from Smith and Temba clinch victory
  • Chipstead pull one back before both sides have man sent-off
  • United have lost only one of nine cup matches so far this season
  • U’s have won last six games in all competitions (including penalty shoot-outs)

Hastings United’s footballers continued their excellent record in the cups this season with another victory this afternoon (Saturday).

The U’s won 2-1 away to Chipstead in FA Trophy first round qualifying and have now lost only one of their nine matches in the various knockout competitions so far this term.

A goal in either half from Jerome Smith and Bright Temba put United two-up before Chipstead pulled one back to set up a nervy finish, during which both sides had a player sent-off.

After Jack Harris headed just over from a Sam Crabb cross, United opened the scoring in the 15th minute. Temba’s header from a Sam Adams corner was saved by Chipstead goalkeeper Stojsavljevic and Smith poked home the rebound.

Stojsavljevic pulled off two saves from Harris and Sam Cruttwell was just off target with a 30-yard piledriver, while at the other end, Pelling produced a fine stop to deny Aitken from close range.

Having already brought on Chris Cumming-Bart for a limping Sam Cole during the first half, United made two more changes at the break. Sean Ray and Max Hollobone replaced Smith and Crabb.

Chipstead were much-improved after the interval, although Stojsavljevic had to repel shots from Simon Johnson and Harris before United doubled their lead in the 82nd minute. Hollobone delivered an inch-perfect cross for Temba to head past the goalkeeper.

The hosts - who are bottom of Ryman Football League Division One South and lost 6-0 to United on the opening day of the campaign- pulled one back in the 85th minute. Steve Betancourt volleyed home from a well delivered free kick.

United captain Jack Walder and Aitken were sent-off following an off-the-ball clash before, in the dying moments, Chipstead had loud penalty appeals turned down when Kery Kedze went to ground under the challenge of Ollie Rowe.

United will receive £2,700 from the FA prize fund, in addition to the £2,500 they picked up for beating Wroxham in the preliminary round, and a place in second round qualifying on Saturday November 14.

United: Pelling, Crabb (Hollobone), Cruttwell, Rowe, Smith (Ray), Walder, Temba, Adams, Harris, Johnson, Cole (Cumming-Bart). Subs not used: Richardson-Brown, Medlock. Attendance: 94.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!