Sidley turn on style in FA Cup

SIDLEY United side created a piece of club history courtesy of their Sunday afternoon super show in the New Forest.

Wednesday, 23rd August 2006, 6:17 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 8:07 pm

The current vintage became the first team from the club ever to win a match away from their Gullivers home in the FA Cup when they thumped Lymington Town 4-0.

It was also only their second win anywhere - the first was at home last season - in eight cracks at the world's greatest knockout competition.

The Blues' prize was 500 and a home tie against Sussex Division One rivals Worthing United on Sunday September 3.

Joint manager Andy Laskey said: "It was a cracking result and a good team performance. The first half was without doubt the worst, but the second half was the best we've played this season. We steamrollered them after half time and played some cracking football."

Shae Spreafico provided the icing on the cake with a sparkling second half hat-trick which took his tally to four goals in three competitive games after scoring seven times in pre-season.

The first of his treble came five minutes after the re-start and it saw him flick the ball past the outrushing home goalkeeper from a Steve Morris chip over the defence. His second, five minutes later, was the culmination of a fine move involving Jimmy Watson, Craig Willard and Morris at the home of Bashley FC.

After Lymington had hit the crossbar and been denied by a wonder save from Peter Newstead, the richly talented Spreafico made it a personal treble in the 78th minute by converting a Darren Witham pass.

United could even afford the luxury of taking off Spreafico and Peter Baker, who opened the scoring with a sweet strike in the 20th minute, after the fourth goal went in.

Sidley's eventual saunter to victory was a far cry from an opening period in which even Laskey admitted Wessex Premier outfit Town "were probably on top", and only another tremendous stop by Newstead preserved their lead at the break.

The only downside for United was the sight of Adam Quinn being taken to Bournemouth Hospital in an ambulance with a dislocated shoulder.