Little Common residents’ action group set up to fight building of homes

Residents of Spindlewood Drive, Little Common, SUS-161129-151254001
Residents of Spindlewood Drive, Little Common, SUS-161129-151254001

A campaign group has been set up in protest against potential housing developmemt in Little Common.

Graham Stone launched Spindlewood Development Action Group last week in response to land off Spindlewood Drive being earmarked for 160 new homes.

The move is part of Rother District Council’s Core Strategy, which sets out a requirement for at least 3,100 new homes to be built in Bexhill between 2011 and 2028.

The strategy reveals a list of its preferred sites to accommodate new homes, with the development on a field next to Spindlewood Drive and Maple Walk being one of them.

Graham said: “This involves the building of 160 new houses with the entrance to the site off Spindlewood Drive via Meads Road, both of which are quiet, narrow residential roads and totally unsuitable for heavy traffic. This would mean a huge increase in traffic flow along Meads Road and Spindlewood Drive. The development would lead to associated increases in noise, dust and air pollution in Little Common.

“Added to this is the huge development at Barnhorn Green to the north of Little Common with a proposal for 350+ new houses. This will effectively make the roundabout at Little Common a major pinch-point with even longer traffic queues than at present and a consequent rise in the toxicity of air quality in the immediate area.

“We understand Little Common Primary School is already at bursting point so where are any extra small children expected to go to school? It would also mean a huge increase in the numbers of patients registering with GP surgeries, dentists, pharmacists and other associated health professionals.”

A spokesman for Rother District Council said: “Land off Spindlewood Drive, Bexhill is being put forward as one of the preferred options of sites required to meet the identified housing needs for the district in the council’s forthcoming Development and Site Allocation Local Plan which goes out for public consultation on December 12. The 10-week public consultation will give residents the opportunity to give their views on the sites currently included, and alternatives, and help shape the final document. We would urge people to share their views with us.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.bexhillobserver.net/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bexhillobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BexhillObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bexhill Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.