Waste plant drops appeal

THERE was a mixture of surprise and relief in Pebsham this week as residents were told Reprotech has dropped its bid to generate electricity through incineration.

Thursday, 6th November 2003, 12:43 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 7:49 pm

The company had wanted to begin energy-from-waste incineration at its site but was told by East Sussex County Council it was not entitled to under the terms of its planning permission.

Reprotech appealed against the decision, arguing it could generate energy without the need for further planning permission, and a Public Inquiry had been set for December 16 to resolve the issue.

But managing director David Watts told the Observer on Monday his company had decided to throw in the towel - for now anyway.

Mr Watts said the company was instead focussed on getting the plant back into action after last year's fire.

He added: "We've put the appeal aside for the moment."

"We are concentrating all our efforts on reinstating and renovating the plant and that has to take priority. We don't have the time or resources to mount a full appeal while all this is going on and have decided it is wise to withdraw for the moment.

"But we're certainly not ruling out the possibility of resuming the appeal in the future and we stand by our argument."

But principal county planner Stewart Glassar had bad news for Reprotech.

He said: "As the appeal has been withdrawn no further action will be taken by the planning inspectorate or the county council and the appeal cannot be re-started. The appeal against this particular application for a certificate is therefore at an end. "

Residents had been concerned about possible emissions, noise, and extra traffic from an energy-from-waste plant. They were also worried about how it might affect plans for a Pebsham Countryside Park.

They were notified about this week's news by a county council mail drop.

East Bexhill county councillor Jean Hopkinson said: "This is tremendous news for Bexhill, and will avoid the requirement to hold the public inquiry, along with the benefit of saving our taxpayers' money. Well done all round."

Refurbishment works are ongoing at Reprotech and Mr Watts said he was hoping to resume operations in April or May next year. The company produces fuel pellets from waste at the plant.